This rice salad has wonderful flavors and your recipients will appreciate the great freshness and nutrients of this healthy side meal.
You will want to start this rice first and then move onto your entrée as it takes a little time to boil and then cool.
Meditteranean Rice Salad- Cook's Country
- 1 cup basmati rice or other long grain rice
- 2 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated zest plus 2 TB juice from 1 orange
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp group cinammon
- 4 scallions, chopped fine (or onion if need be)
- 3/4 c chopped raisins ( or dates, currants)
- 3/4 c chopped pistachios (or sliced almonds) toasted
- 1/4 chopped fresh parsley
1. Bring 4 quarts water to biol in a large pot. Meanwhile toast rice in medium skillet over medium hear, stirring frequently, until faintly fragrant and some grains turn opaque, about 8 minutes.
2. Add 1 1/2 tsp salt and toasted rice to boiling water. Return to boil and cook, uncovered, until rice is tender, 8-11 minutes. Drain rice, spread on rimmed baking sheet and cool completely at least 20 minutes. Transfer cooled rice to serving bowl.