I found this recipe in the 30 minute section of my Cook’s Country Magazine and thought I would give it a try—really, how wrong can you go with chicken, basil, bread crumbs and cheese? And true to form it was delicious and not very hard at all. It sounds gourmet and it looks very nice so it is a great dish to bring over to someone in need. It transports easily, tastes great, and for picky eater has pretty simple ingredients. Paired with roasted zucchini and a fruit salad you have a, healthy, fresh, colorful, and delicious meal.
- 1c bread crumbs, preferably fresh - To make fresh bread crumbs, process 2 slices of hearty white sandwhich bread (I have now made this with store-bought Panko breadcrumbs, fresh sourdough bread and even whole-wheat sandwich bread---so whatever you have will work) in a food – processor until coarsely ground
- ½ c grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp EV Olive Oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts ( 6-7 ounces, trimmed)
- ¼ c minced fresh basil
- ¼ c mayonnaiseLemon wedges for serving (optional)
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat to 425 degrees. Combine bread crumbs, parmesan, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste in bowl.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and transfer to 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Combine basil and mayo in small bowl and spread mixture evenly over the chicken. Sprinkle bread-crumb mixture evenly over mayo and press lightly to adhere.
- Bake the chicken until crumbs are golden brown and instant thermometer reads 160 degrees. 18-22 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges
- Along with the chicken, I will place a tray of sliced zucchini drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with Salt and Pepper into the oven to roast.
And the finished product!